Do you care about climate change and its impact on water? Do you feel passionate about writing stories that revolve around these aspects? If so, we are glad our perspectives align. Nextblue offers the right platform where your words could lead to deeper discussions and solutions.
Nextblue publishes constructive water and climate-related stories from a unique and local perspective. We invite you to join us in our mission, to initiate objective dialogues with your stories, so as to spur people to take action and make the world better.
We accept pitches in English from anywhere in the world, through our pitch form. Within 3 weeks we will inform you of our decision. Nextblue reserves the right to disqualify contributors from consideration if they have been found to have engaged in unethical or improper professional conduct.
- A feature story should be balanced and have a minimum of three quotes and five high-quality photos. Word count: 900 to 1,200 words.
- A photo essay should tell a story and have a minimum of 12 high resolution images. The captions should be submitted in a text file. How would it surprise and delight our readers? Who would write the copy to go with your images (600 to 900 words)?
- We welcome sectoral experts to contribute an opinion piece. Explain why this piece needs to be written right now. Word count: 600 to 900 words.
- The take-away from your story should be clear: it could be a solution that could be replicated or adapted, or it could be a problem to be avoided.
- Get your facts right: the names of people and places, any data, quotes, etc.
- Use active voice.
- We are not an academic journal. So do not use foot notes or in-text citations. When you refer to reports or relevant news, please hyperlink them.
- Please provide a brief about people and places, keeping in mind that you write for an international audience. Not everyone knows who “professor Nguyen” is. It is easier to understand if you write “Nguyen, professor of water management at Vietnam University”.
- Please send photos as separate attachments, properly numbered. Do not paste them in the text file of your story.
- Please include captions to photos at the end of your story, as numbered. Include photographer’s name.
- Nextblue reserves the right to reject pitches and opinion submissions.
You should be open to your write-up being edited. We will contact you for clarifications and re-writes, if necessary.
Stories to give you an idea of our style and structure
Engage with our audience
We are committed to sparking debates. Get involved in discussions when your story is shared on social media platforms after publication.
In addition to the stories, we offer you a chance to talk about your experiences in our podcast. We would also carry your Q&A in our weekly newsletter, giving you the space you deserve.
Our compensation for professional journalists and photographers varies based on the type of contribution. We do not pay for contributions by sectoral experts, government officials, academicians and research scholars.
Payment will be made after publication, within three weeks of submission of invoice.
Contributor responsibility and liability
Please note that Nextblue is only responsible for compensating the journalist for the article they produce. Any costs, expenses, or risks associated with the journalist's work, including travel expenses, personal safety, or potential injuries, are solely the responsibility of the journalist. Nextblue does not assume liability for any such costs or incidents. We highly encourage journalists to exercise caution, adhere to ethical practices, and take necessary precautions while conducting their work.
What Nextblue does not publish
Poems, press releases, fiction, a story that has been published in another print/digital platform.